Saturday, September 20, 2008

Long Run up Mount Doug and Little Mount Doug Victoria, BC





Today I did my long run (yellow and green run. I started at 8:40:00 and finished at 10:35:50. So almost a full 2 hours. This was my first really long run in a while and it showed. I was absolutely knackered by the end. I summited Mount Doug first from the Northeast slope, I then descended the the Northwest (more or less) slope, I then summited little doug from the north and descended from the south, I summited Mount Doug again from the south, and lastly came down my first ascent trail. I was not at my full two hours when I reached the park so I ran an extra 10-15 minutes on Whitaker. I really hit the wall at about 1:38:00 and must admit I had nothing left in the tanks to finish running. I ended up walking the last 15 minutes (how embarrasing). It was a great run and I excperienced some trails I hadn't attempted before. It was brutal and difficult with the multiple ascents, but what was surprising is the first descent of Doug is very challenging. It is rocky, steep, and fast and one trip could mess you up pretty bad. I think my total distance was between 7 and 10 Km when you add in the street running to and from the house. I am not quite sure for distance but nearly 3/4 of the gutbuster 11Km route. I purposely didn't pack down the carbs so that I would force my body to function almost completely on stored glycogen. I think it will help to improve the way my body metabolises glycogen in the long run. You do notice a huge difference running in the morning on no easy to burn carbs, vs dusk after a day of carb loading. My joints did well but I could definately feel it by the last descent of Doug. My repair meal consisted of two scrambled eggs with cheese, and a peanut butter and honey sandwich. After stretching and eating, and showering, I had to lay down for about an hour but I feel pretty good now and probably could even run tonight (but I am not going to). The weather was cloudy and maybe only 50 degrees. I am excited for my Monday run, and I will have to do it in the early morning since both lectures are in the evening and I don't get home to almost 10. I have a long way to go until I can compete in the gutbuster but I have a good chunk of a year to train. I need to increase distance by about 25% and cut my time by 50% to be competive. Distance won't be an issue, but speed is going to be my challenge. One last note is I am currently running a pair of Asics gel 1130's and they are not trail shoes. I have about 200 km logged on them and find I am nearing about 5o% of their life. The trails are really rough on them though and they had a major effect on my overall performance today, and once they are gone I won't have $100 for new shoes any suggestions are welcomed.


A picture of a portion of the trail, this is the flat easy section of the trail. I would like to photo and write details on the majority of my training runs so that I can focus on strategy. Maybe in the next week or two I will attempt it.

No comments: