Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Easy 7 miler and some 7M3 - Devil Boy

Tonight was an easy run so I did a simple 7 miler at Mount Doug. It has been very cold this week and possibly colder than it has been since early December but that being said it was still 4 C or 45 degrees F. We even saw some snow flakes yesterday though they didn't stick around long. My focus tonight was just to run easy and run light with as little impact as possible and to run at a nice speed where it was easy to keep my breath. I accomplished my goal and was really amazed at how easy it really felt. I hardly broke a sweat or got out of breath even on the uphill. I was tempted to turn up the speed but with many more miles and summits lined up for the week I decided to take it easy like I had planned.

My thoughts were mainly focussed on my studies today and I thought a bit about magma differentiation and the effects of melt composition on element partitioning. Pretty heavy stuff to be focusing on during a run but I find my easy runs allow me to think more about school and other complex subjects that require my full attention. When I am really running hard I only have the brain capacity to tackle the trail and have to completely focus on the run and so other thoughts are pushed aside.

Today I had some old school Seven Mary Three playing in my head. The song that was blaring in the old noggin is called "Devil Boy" and is one of my favorite from their debut album American Standard. I have loved 7M3 since they saw popularity in the mid 90's with "Cumbersome" and "Water's Edge". I think many people stopped listening after the first album but the band has continued to create great music with many albums released since then. They are really a southern grunge band, though that is a bit of a generalization. I love the vocals and guitar riffs. They are still around and making music and playing various venues. I have also included a song from a more recent album called "Last Kiss" to show that they still make great music. Neither video is recorded in great quality but I think they are both still awesome to watch. I like their bearded look it is pretty sweet. "Last Kiss" is a great song and I like the rocky feel of it. I definitely have many fond memories of American Standard and the music of 7M3 has accompanied me throughout most of my adolescence all the way to adulthood. They often were playing as me and my brother slowly drove up many forgotten back roads in the Uintas as we pursued various treasures. For some reason that first album reminds me a lot of our prospecting trips in South Fork, Noblett's Canyon, and the Red Creek areas. Very nostalgic stuff for me. They release MP3's from their site (7MP3's) for free and I grab those whenever I can.



3 comments:

Tim said...

you have to have those runs on occassion to let your body recoupe a little bit from the grind of intense training. Though I would not call 7 miles an easy run. I think only you could say that.

Also I didn't even know 7M3 was still around. For some reason I thought the lead singer left the band long ago. I REALLY enjoyed Last Kiss. GREAT TUNE!!! These guys still have it thats for sure. My memory of these guys sends me on top of a couple of weights and trying to walk across them in your room (along with stabbing westward) thinking of all of our interests we had then, fishing, girls, fishing again. Those were great times.

Steve said...

Classic! I was wondering if you would tie these guys to our days of trying to balance on those barbells. That was great fun. I probably still could keep myself entertained for hours listening to music discussing our interests and balancing on barbells. The lead singer of Stabbing Westward left so perhaps that is who you were thinking of. I am glad I could reintroduce you to 7M3's new stuff.

Tim said...

that must have been who I was thinking of and got to two mixed up. I am good at that. Yeah I am sure I could entertain myself the same way now as I did then.