Monday, September 29, 2008

My Favourite Band

Why Depeche Mode?
1987
My first recollection of Depeche Mode comes in the year 1987, while listening on a small imitation-wood clock radio, most likely the station was KJQ or what ever was the mainstream station at the time, I heard an intriguing song. It was "Blasphemous Rumors". Being six or seven years old, the lyrics meant nothing to me, but the overall sound was captivating. Was it the electronic melody or the sampled sounds? I couldn’t put my finger on it. Little did I know at that time what an integral part of my life this band would play.

I had limited listening for the next few years. My next real contact with their music was probably 1991. I was 10 years old in that glorious summer, and I had a friend who’s older brother was a “Waver”, you know the guys with long hair on one side of their head, with the other half, shaved off. Well he had just bought the Vinyl for “Violator”. My first time hearing “Enjoy the Silence” was mesmerizing. It was like discovering the lost city of Atlantis. Could there really be a world of music out there that I didn’t know about? I can remember really loving “Policy of Truth” as well. Later in that same year I purchased “Catching up With Depeche Mode”, a compilation of their earlier stuff. I found it had “Blasphemous Rumors” but some new songs I hadn’t heard before. It played in my small cd player endlessly. I captured a few of DM’s “Violator” songs on tape, recorded from the radio, and loved the tapes to the point that they wouldn’t play. That was the extent of my Depeche Mode listening until 1996.

At this point I was working at Granite furniture on the night shift. I found myself instantly drawn to one of the employees in the set-up and visual section of the warehouse. James started talking about his musical interests, and I quickly found he was a fountain of knowledge, trivia, and music, from the era and genre. He began to bring me albums from his collection. The first being “Speak and Spell” followed by many other earlier albums and cds from similar artists. Over the next year I began to become obsessed. The sounds of clanking metal, the haunting melodies, the dark lyrics, began to take on a new level of understanding for me. I began to play these many tracks endlessly in my car, as Tim and I drove around at nights, discussing life, love (well what we thought we knew of love), fishing, and happiness in our naive and innocent way. The songs began to be a soundtrack for my teenage years. I had dealt with some trying situations, and many of the tracks struck a chord with me.

My brother got home from his mission early in 1997 and he decided to take me on my first prospecting trip. I had always been interested in prospecting and treasure hunting and had all of the stories memorized. Our first trip was to our old family hunting spot that my dad had found good evidence of mining activity at. As we drove up there in his little Nissan truck, he popped in a tape he had bought from “The Good Will” donation house for $0.98. The tape began with the screeching sound indicative of “I Feel You” and as we began to enter the mountains on that rainy spring morning, Depeche Mode took on a new depth for me. It was at this point that my brother and I knew we were onto something big, combining good music with adventure! For the next 10 years we probably listened to that album 100’s of times on our prospecting adventures. I have fond memories of hearing the bluesy sound of DM mixed with fantastic electronic pulses in the background of a rattling dusty road in some forgotten corner of the Uinta Mountains. My obsession with the group began to become deeply emotional as the different songs and albums began to be linked with some of my most exciting, frightening, and intimate thoughts and experiences.

Ultra came out that year and it was magic. Finally, I had new stuff for me to sink my teeth into. Sister of Night was a particular favourite from the album. It was nice to know DM had pulled through their darkest moments with a new album, and were so happy doing it that they were here to stay. Shortly after this release, DM announced a tour and a new best of Album. 1986<1998, which was a two disc set from these years of the bands music. I waited in line at the record store to get my own copy with the special third disc extra. These two discs, orange and blue, are probably my most played discs I own. I have actually purchased them three times because of various reasons, but mainly abuse.

These two discs became the backdrop of the infamous “Delta Hunt 98’”. Where my car miraculously drove itself at 60 mph on cruise, in 6 inches of snow, while Tim, Bradford and I slumbered (I was driving). I awoke to the site of a deer in the road. Sufficeth to say, 15 doughnuts later, and a similar experience to that of John Candy in Plains, Trains, and Automobiles, we were back on our way to Delta, Utah, a “little” wiser. I have the sweetest memory of this trip, as it was really the icing on our friendship, and adolescence, and marked an end to our innocence. Shortly after this we were all on our own pursuing our different paths in life.

Previous to Delta Hunt 98, I was lucky enough to get tickets with James and his family to the Concert for the 1998 show. This was my first DM concert, and my most memorable because of it being my first. We drove down with James in his parents van, and I think we laughed the whole way down and back. The concert was awesome, and I can’t describe the feeling I got being there that night, but it is a similar feeling when you know you are experiencing something almost outer bodily or when you know you are experiencing greatness. The stands were swaying, and the energy in the crowd was like lightning. I was so caught up in the moment, that I can’t tell you what exactly, it was like for me. That night saw the start of a true friendship that will last the eternities. At that point in time, I knew that I was at some sort of climax in my life, and I was in a lot of ways.

Over the next few years I used the new internet as a way of checking out DM stats, trivia, and music. I was extremely pumped for Exciter and James got a copy from Napster before the release. I was in love all over again. Though to date, Exciter is not my favourite of their albums, it has its moments where it is. There was a new concert to follow this album up, and I once again was marveling at the genius behind this trio from Basildon. I went through phases of this song, or this album, or that, and was blown away by Playing the Angel several years later. The concert was insane, and the tickets were a gift from James and Jenny because I couldn’t afford closer seats, and it was Vye’s first DM concert, and though I don’t think her experience was anything like my first, she still loved it. In fact she was pregnant with Kaleb, and he loves music almost as much as me, especially “Daddy Music”.

After my first surgery I went to Richies house so I could have Tracy care for me while Vye was at work. I was withering away and could not eat a thing. I was so weak and looked like “Mister Burns” from the Simpsons. I began to get really sick and began to faint, or pass out in the shower, or while lying on the bed. My health took a turn for the worst and my mom stayed up with me all night, one night, because she swore I might pass in the middle of the night and Vye was too exhausted to stay awake another night in a row. The next morning I was told by my surgeon if I didn’t eat and start improving I would have to go to the ICU. I couldn’t stand the thought of another IV or being fed by a tube. I finally had Vye get my Exciter DVD and my mom bought some ensure. I sat in Richies family room and blared my DVD and began to sip the ensure. Within a few minutes my spirits began to sore (drugs may have helped the soaring as well, but that is another story), I began to feel the music, and it was almost like liquid music in my veins. By the end of the concert I was “Pointing” to the music and had drank a full ensure. It was a turning point for my health.

Throughout my undergraduate degree, I can remember reading in the quiet alcoves of the Stewart Library with the sound of Depeche in the background. They were a constant companion, as I pulled many all-nighters in a lab staring through a microscope, or at home cramming for a test. I have run many miles to Depeche, cried to Depeche, laughed to Depeche, formed relationships while listening to DM, I have discovered endless layers and insite to myself and others while listening, and I have lived with Depeche for almost two decades. When asked why is Depeche Mode my favourite band? I can’t simply answer because I like their songs, or their music speaks to me, I can’t say anything at all, because I can’t possibly do their music and what it means to me justice with the confines of the English language. I feel I have an intimate connection with their music, and I am anxious for what events in my life will be played out, over the fantastic sound of my favourite band.

4 comments:

Jimmy Mac said...

Wow...I might need to bust out some DM today and re-connect. Good comments, and I think I relate on many levels. Sometimes I go months without listening, and then I will listen to them for two days straight. Music can take us back to a simpler time or to places that we can never forget. Thanks for all the good memories...Everything counts in large amounts!

Vyedka said...

Wow, cutie...that was a good read. I really enjoyed reading it. And I am glad that you love music so much, it is really a big part of your life and I love how passionate you are about it.

Tim said...

Steve,

It is truly amazing how many memories can really be linked to this one band. I remember my first "real" experience with DM just after you started working with James and Granite and you had me listen to Enjoy the Silence and Personal Jesus in your room and had no idea that DM sang those songs. I had always enjoyed those songs but never "knew" who they were until spending many a hours in your room, or driving the "rounds". Everytime I hear those songs it reminds me of driving "rounds" for hours on end.

Those are times never to be forgotten. Though we no longer have the money to do such things, it will always be something that I remember.

Thanks for the good times.

James and Jenni McBride said...

I will never forget both of those DM concerts. I think we truly did laugh all the way to the concert and back that first time. What I remember the most about the second concert was on the way home, "spacially aware and navigational expert" husband got lost coming home from the E Center. I also remember James telling me that he knew he won those tickets so that you could go to that concert. Appartently someone else knows how important it is for you to have DM in your life!