Wednesday, October 1, 2008

An Ode to Mount Douglas



I am going to do another long run of Doug this afternoon. I will most likely be doing about a 2:00 hour or slightly longer. I will try to summit doug twice and little doug at least once. It is a great hill to climb. First it has great trail systems. You can always switch up your run depending on distance, steepness, rockyness, or you can just trail run around the mountain on a nice flat run. It is really nice to have such variabillity while training. The mountain itself is 220 meters (almost 1000 feet) above sea level, and since, on my run to the mountain, I pass within a few meters of the ocean, I climb this elevation every time I summit. So an average long run with summiting Big Doug twice and little Doug once, I climb over 2,000 feet. It is a really good spot to train. The views are fantastic and sunset (when I usually run) can be breathtaking. This is a truly inspiring run, the terrain and scenary is brilliant, and the trails are always different as conditions change. The silence is only broken up by my foot steps on the moist organic rich soil. It is not hard to be a runner in Victoria infact it is an absolute joy.

1 comment:

Tim said...

You are FREAKIN crazy! When do you see you family?