Friday, October 3, 2008

Teaching

I have found I really do enjoy teaching at University. I have always considered being a professor, but now that I am getting some experience, I even love it more. Some of my favourite aspects of teaching are sharing a small portion of my love of geoscience with someone else, and watching the students actually get excited about something I love so much. I enjoy watching people figure out a problem, and seeing that little "light bulb" moment of the realization of how to figure the issue out. I really like to see people take pride in their academic accomplishments and successes, they are hard earned. This class (mineralology) is such a fun course to teach. There is such a huge component of hands on science. Everything from hand specimen identification, optical miscroscopy, and field science. It really is the course in a geology undergrad's career that forms such a fundamental background of all other aspects of the science. It is used as a basis for everything from geochemistry, and mineral exploration, to ocean science, environmental science and geophysics. I am really learning the course material as well, and feel I am becoming a better student and geologist as a result of my teaching. I would truly love to teach for a living. I have heard some negative comments about becoming a university professor, but I feel these comments are poorly constructed and based on weak arguments or one bad experience. I love research and would love to continue to research as well. Sometimes industry does not allow for much wiggle room, to pursue your own interests amd curiosity, but university allows for such curiosity studies, and to contribute to the furtherment of the science, and not just a single company or project. I would be a very happy person if I was able to elevate myself to a level that would allow me to teach upper division geosciences. I will always remember my first experience as a TA, as a truely important point in my life.

3 comments:

Tim said...

I could only imagine the type of teacher that you would be considering your love for the field you are in. You have such a desire and determination that would be unmatched. I wish all teachers had the passion you did. If so, I think the education department here in Utah would see a huge leap in students knowledge Lets just hope that you teach somewhere here in Utah the bulk of your career.

James and Jenni McBride said...

I may only sub, but I really understand what you are saying. I was teaching ordinal numbers to some 4th graders and a little girl who struggled with all aspects of her education suddenly had that "light bulb moment". It's so fun to watch and be a small part of someones learning process. Next time you come to Utah we will hook you up with some elementary kids, and teaching them some basics of geology. You will laugh your self silly. They make the funniest comments and remarks. Case in point: a little first grader had a reputation for being a hard kid to handle. Not a very positive home life. When a teacher, who is a friend of mine, heard she had him in her class she was determined to make a difference in his life. I was in the class room helping with some computer work and she brought this student to the side of the classroom and asked how the weekend went? "Well, the baby was sick all weekend so I watched a lot of TV and movies." What did you watch, my friend asked? "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". While I am trying not to laugh out loud, my friend asks this student if he had seen Mary Poppins and told this student she would let him borrow it. As sad a situation as it was, I couldn't stop laughing!!!!! She did make a difference in his life and he is a much better kid now.
I am passionate about the need for good teachers at all levels of education. With how much you love your field, it's easy to see how much you want your students to grasp that spark that you have, and feel it as well. Great job Steve....we are proud of you!

Vyedka said...

I know you are a great teacher. I see it in your eyes everyday how much you love learning and how much you love talking to anyone who will listen to you about the geosciences. I think you will make a great univeristy professor, and a great role model. Steve you are super smart and you have a lot to offer the world. I am excited for the next few years to see where life takes us...