Saturday, October 4, 2008

My first Gutbuster Mount Doug 11 Km Training run

Today was a really good day for me with my running. I accomplished many "firsts". Before conference I decided to do my weekly long run. It was pouring rain and was chilly, about 13 degrees (57 f). I figured I would go for the full gutbuster 11km (yellow line on the map) plus my added distance to and from my house, and a slight variation on the course, which put my distance closer to 15 Km. It took me quite a while to get in the groove. It is amazing that regaurdless of how hard I train, my first 2 Km are just brutal. Today was extra bad, but it turned out to be a good thing. I hit my groove right at the start of my first major hill climb (the Irvine Climb). Here is where I accomplished my second first. I summited Mount Doug without having to speed walk at all. My legs were just burning, and my lungs were trying to engulf the necessary oxygen. I would not let myself slow to a walk. I just kept pushing myself, and before I knew it, I was on the last few swithbacks to the top. I was stoked. I then battled some really slick rocks and messed up my right leg (see photo, you can tell it's messed up). The rain drops began to fall faster, and seemed that each drop encompassed a pop cans amount of liquid. I was drenched. I finished summiting little doug and summited big Doug again. I finished my distance and struggled up the big hill before my house. I had made my full distance. It took a total of 2:12 and so I ran beyond the 2 hour mark for the first time since moving up here. I was so relieved to be done and was happy with my progress this week. My temperature was super hot from the run, but when I got home I found myself locked out of the house, and my tempature crashed. I finally got inside and snapped a photo of myself after my first succesful Mount Doug long course completion, for prosperity sake. I started the run at 150.8 lbs and finished the run at just over 148lbs. To make my goals for my times I want, in about 40 weeks for the actual race, I will need to shave at least 40 minutes off my time. So I need to average about one minute quicker each week then the week prior. I jumped in the tub turned on conference and warmed up. I am affraid I will have to start nursing my injured right leg, and I may loose some training time. I pulled my acheles and hamstring, which in turn caused my knee to track poorly under my patella, so I have a bit of runner's knee as well. Time for ice and stretching. I will muscle through it though. I can't wait to hit the trail again. I ran pretty long on wednesday as well, but my mind was uneasy due to some loose ends that have not been tied up. I ran very poorly that night as a result. Between then and now I had made some progress on working through my issues, and feel the peace of mind allowed me to run better. It is amazing how interlinked our mind, body, and spirit are. I love the fact that running allows me to totally push my limits to where my will is the only thing keeping my body firing. I love to see just how much pain I can create for myself. I know it sounds crazy, but it is fun to me. The conference tonight was great, and I look forward to tomorrow.

3 comments:

tysqui said...

You seriously amaze me. It's been a blast to read about your runs, schooling and family. You've got quite the talent for writing.

I need to use you as an inspiration. The most exercise I do in any week is to uh, is to, uh... Well I can't think of anything right now, I'll get back to you. Yeah, I could use a bit though...

Tim said...

It is amazing how much you run. I really need to start again, but by the time I get home I have had enough for one day. Maybe one day I will start again.

James and Jenni McBride said...

Before James started running, people would mention something called "a runners high" and I would look at them like they were nuts. Well, I still look at all of you runners like you are nuts but I better understand what this statement means. Being surrounded by people who find such joy in going for a short run "8-11 miles" and coming home with smiles on their faces makes more sense now. Keep it up and know that we are proud of you! Especially James!