Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Anyone want to run the Caminito Del Rey with me?

I have been looking for some really nice runs to do in the future. Since we are planning to go to Europe soon I found this little gem of a run in Spain. According to the eternal fountain of knowledge Wikipedia the road was built between about 1901 and 1905 to help transport people and supplies to a channel near a hydroelectric plant. The path is 1 metre wide and no longer has a handrail over most of the length. The path is about 984 feet above the river. I asked Vye if she would run it with me and she declined. Any takers? The course seems quite narrow and there may be some issues with vertigo. You may also want to practice running on 3 inch steel beams at various heights above the ground, to get used to a few spots along the run. Another technique that may be useful would be escaping from the concrete path crumbling beneath your feet. I am unsure how best to practice this, but it would be a useful tool for this run. I guess you could hike it and hold onto the steel cable, but I think running it would be much more exciting. I think when I run it I will be the first to trail run the El caminito Del Rey since it has fallen into disrepair. Join me and make history (perhaps it will even get a portion named after us, after they scrape our greasy smears off the rocks below). Why can't I be happy just running around the block? I guess I am an adrenaline junky.


3 comments:

James and Jenni McBride said...

I'll do it with you Steve! Would you be willing to push my wheelchair? I bet the beams would be really exciting then! LOL

Angie said...

Boy, are you effin' crazy? I got butterflies just watching the video. I think maybe you should just eat your own muscles instead!! :)

Tim said...

I will go if you pay the bill. That is the only way I am going to make it over there.