Saturday, May 23, 2009

Which Marathon?

I am trying to decide which marathon I am going to run this Summer/Fall.  I could run the Park City on Oakley's B-day since we will be visiting Utah at the time, or I could run the Royal Victoria Marathon in October.  The challenges with running the P.C. is the difference in elevation, with limited time to climatize, and also there would be a shorter time to train for a faster time.  I would still like to run something while we are in Utah and that seems like the best race to run while we are there.  Victoria is a nice route and is continually voted as one of the prettiest in N.A.  I could also excpect a better time with the extra 8 weeks of training.  I doubt I could properly recover in time to run both marathons.  I will have to decide before races fill up and prices are increased. 

4 comments:

James and Jenni McBride said...

The change in elevation could kill you, then you would be disappointed in your time and it would haunt you. Run at home where you train and then do a shorter race as part of your training here. Now, this is just advice since you threw it out there. Please know that if you decide to run in Park City, we will be there to cheer you on!!!!

Tim said...

I would have to agree with James and Jenni on this one. Maybe you could do like a half marathon or something like that in Park City. If you do let me know and I will try to run it with ya.

Tim said...

Have you decided if you are going to do anything for the Park City run or not? If you do let me know and I will run it with ya.

P.S. What is your e-mail address and we can keep in touch that way as well.

Steve said...

I am leaning towards running the Park City, we have until July 1, to decide. I will have to come down like a week early, and I will most likely do a few very easy and slow 8-10 Km runs in the Wasatch (maybe run from the golf balls on Francis to Thirstons and back)early in the week to acclimatize a bit. I am still not expecting to set any new land speed records because of the elevation difference, but if I am interested in running a 50 or 100 miler next summer I have to start getting use to long runs at elevation. I would treat it more like a training run than a race. There is no time like the present to start training. Hit me at steveafellows@msn.com