Saturday, January 2, 2010

26.2 mile New Year's Day run and some Mew

I decided to bring in the New Year with a bang and run 26.2 miles just for fun. I wanted to start at 6 AM and finish by 10 but Vye and I stayed up talking the night before way late. So I decided I would run it in the afternoon. I had about a 500 calorie breakfast and hung out with the family and then it was time to hit the trails. I got all geared up and it took a minute to psych myself into running because it was cold and rainy. I slowly urged my body into the first 4.3 Km loop of the chip trail. Surprisingly, my body was revolting and I had absolutely zero motivation and my legs hurt. I took the 31st off from running in anticipation for this marathon and still just wasn't feeling it. Lap 1 came and went and same with lap two with little change. Both legs were sore and I just was barely tromping along. Lap 3 felt good and my legs loosened up and finally I was running along without any issues. Perhaps the first two laps were so poor due to my own knowledge that this was going to be a long cold rainy day. After my rocky start the next 8 miles flew by and were quite effortless and enjoyable. I took a breather at the 13 mile mark and ran home to get a drink and eat another couple 100 calories. I surprisingly can eat about anything during long runs with zero repercussions. Perhaps having no large intestine is a blessing when it comes to fueling on long runs. I started my second leg of my marathon in a full downpour. It was now only 45 minutes before sunset and there was still a long ways to go. Up to the 18 mile mark things felt good and were not to difficult. After 18 miles I began to feel the muscles in the legs and core breaking down from fatigue. The sun set and it began to really rain. I was now completely soaked to the bone and after almost 2 and a half hours of running in the rain my body was chilled. I knew that the next 8 miles were going to be tough. I sucked it up and just took the run a little at a time. Up to 21 miles I felt OK but could tell I was getting knackered. From mile 21 on I only was able to keep my body moving with pure will power because I was tired and cold. I feel if it wasn't so wet and cold I would be fine. Some of the puddles I was running through were now ankle deep and cold water came pouring over the top of my shoes with every step. Then the fog came in and made it really challenging to see the trail or the puddles and made everything that much colder. I finally rounded the last corner and hobbled to the end of the 10th loop to mark 26.2 miles. I was super stoked I finished under the circumstances and it was a nice shining moment to kick off the New Year. I hope my next 26 miler will be a little bit easier. We will see. This morning finds my knees a little sore and some slight discomfort in my hamstrings and calves but other than that I am just a little more tired than usual. I may take today off to recover but should be back at it tomorrow. I really didn't have a particular song stick out in my mind other than the first one that came up on my playlist. I have really been digging a Danish Indie band named Mew. The song is called "Comforting Sounds". It is a really chill song but kind of pretty and nice to start a marathon to. It is so easy to start running too fast early on and so it is nice to run to something slower to force your pace to slow down. If I am trying to crank out a really fast lap I like a song by Mew called "Am I Wry? No". I will include both so you can get a feel for both the slow and the faster stuff. Tell me what you think.




2 comments:

Vyedka said...

Cute, you are my Hero! Awesome job yesterday! I wish you had better weather to run in Ü Maybe you should have ran it today, the weather is beautiful today! I love you and I am glad you were able to finish for first marathon! It is really awesome! And on the Mew...I am really starting to like them Ü

Tim said...

That is AWESOME you pumped out 26.2I am quite jealous you were able to run that. I have to say it sounds like a miserable day of running in the cold, rain. I don't mind rain generally but, its not very fun when it is REALLY cold as well. Keep running hard and I am going to start back up REAL shortly. Your blogs motivate me BIG TIME