Monday, January 4, 2010

Sore Legs and Le Voyage Dans La Lune

Today started yet another semester, and I am taking yet another course. It is a great course and fantastic instructor. I will definitely enjoy it but I am scrambling to review and re-learn calculus, thermodynamics and kinetics. After this course is through in early April, I will only need 1 more course (unless I can convince my committee to drop it) and I will be finished with course work (forever??). I have attended University for so long and for so many semester's it sometimes feels like it is going to never end, but like any long run I know it will have to eventually come to an end. I do enjoy it and will likely be sad when it is over. Good thing there is always a Post Doctorate degree!

Tonight's run was less than fantastic. My lower legs are still quite sore, from originally being sore and than running a marathon. I just ran for 30 minutes as a result. Once again mother nature was working against me, and I was running through 10 cm deep puddles in freezing horizontal rain. My shins and calves were crying but I actually had an alright time, up until a new student asked me for directions. It is funny that there was 40 people around, and she decides to stopthe runner who is nervously checking his splits, for directions. I am only kidding, I didn't mind helping a fellow student, after all it wasn't that long ago that I was a freshman in University worrying about where to find my next class and looking extra nerdy and extra nervous. Perhaps tomorrow my run will feel better but maybe my legs will just keep getting worse. I hope they get better, I am trying to take it easy but still running.

A song that played tonight and caught my attention, which I know everyone is aware of was "Tonight Tonight" by the Smashing Pumpkins. This is a great song and I love the video. It was a nice piece to listen to as I was being battered by wind and rain and I almost forgot I was soaking wet and cold. When I first saw this video I had no idea what the video was about and thought it a little weird (but keep in mind I like weird things so I liked it), but later I found that it was a remake of an early (1902) French silent film called " A Trip to the Moon" or "Le Voyage Dans La Lune" and then I liked it even more. The director thought the artwork on the Melancholy album had that Victorian feel and noticed that it was similar to aspects of this early film. To make me like the video and song even more I found out the lead actor in the video is Spongebob! This is always a nice listen and I like to connect with my mid-90's musical roots now and again. I am including a link to the S.P. video and then the embedded silent film. Enjoy!

Apparently I can't embed "Tonight Tonight" here's the link. Tonight Tonight


1 comment:

Tim said...

It sounds like the body is working overtime right now to keep up with your crazy pace, I am quite sure you will be fine in the next couple of weeks only to test it even more.

I too LOVE that song by Smashing Pumpkins and believe it is one of there better songs. Talk about a perfect song to the conditions and time you were running in. Keep it up