Tuesday, June 15, 2010

19 clicks, ultimate direction bottle review, and some Discovery


Last night I ran 19 clicks at Mount Doug. It has been a while since I cranked out distances greater than 7 miles so it was nice to get out there and stretch the legs. The run had 8 clicks on roads which reminded me just how much I loathe the asphalt. I hate the sound of cars and waiting to cross a busy road. I don't like how there isn't anything technical to occupy my mind and to pick my way through. No steep hills or anything to really push the legs. I was extremely happy to hit the trails and start cranking through the course. I ran late and the deer were everywhere. It was really amazing the number of bucks I startled with their budding velvet antlers. Several jumping huge distances to avoid my clumsy approach. I love running at dusk! My legs were definitely feeling it by the end and even though in my last post I mentioned that all the hiking had kept me somewhat in running shape I quickly realized that I was perhaps in 10 K running shape, but definitely not 20. The last few clicks on my way home were brutal and the pavement seems to always flare up the periformis/hamstring injury. I can't wait to get back into the swing of things. Restarting is always so challenging mentally. I think that is why I ran so far last night because I have been taking it easy for the last few months and I feel it is mainly due to a lazy mindset so I decided to buck-up and give er' the onion! It felt great and was a mental victory.

I tested one of my new water bottles. It is the "Ultimate Direction Neoprene holder and bottle". I really like this bottle. It replaced my old bottle holders made from socks and orange duct tape, which don't get me wrong were actually quite good considering but the new bottles are a vast improvement. The straps comfortably hold the bottles to your hands and adjust quite easily, both to tighten and loosen. The rubber kicker valve is a nice feature and I was happy with the ease of pulling it up and closing it with my mouth. I had some issues with the cap leaking a bit and may be because I was squeezing and may not have had the lid fully threaded on. I hate leaky bottles so I stopped and readjusted the lid and sucked the water instead of squeezing the bottle and found this did the trick. Other than that these will definitely become a staple for all runs over 10 miles. I have a feeling I will get my money's worth out of the bottles which I purchased from MEC for about 11 bucks Canadian.

I recently discovered a band appropriately called "Discovery". I stumbled on them from one of my many YouTube tangents. I have really been digging a song called "Osaka Loop Line". It is very electronic with interesting sounds and tempo changes. I like most everything from the group and think they are doing many innovative ideas with their music. This song was definitely blaring in the old noggin as I cranked the 19 clicks out. Enjoy!



3 comments:

Tim said...

I am glad you were able to get some serious mileage in yesterday. It sounds like your body is not going to take long to get back into shape, and back where you want to be in no time. I am to looking into some water bottles for when I start increasing my mileage. I will have to keep those in mind. I am STOKED to hear more of your running adventures.

Jimmy Mac said...

Sweet dude...I just got that same water bottle...loving it so far. Much better than the belt squezzing on the stomach and making me sick after a while. I have been busting out 4-5 miles about 4 days a week on the trails. Two soakers last week in the rain with mud from but to foot..that was pretty awesome! Monday we went up what we call 3 bridges above ogden, 5.4 miles and 1150 elevation gain and loss. I was happy to just hold a 10 minute pace! good times...keep it up we will have to get a run in next time you are here. I got the Wasatch Back this weekend, and I am running 7 miles up and over Avon Pass on the dirt, and 8 miles up the canyon in Morgan to East Canyon Reservoir, finishing with a 3 miler in Heber...should be a good one, except for all that road running!

Steve said...

Hey James!! I was wondering what you were up to with your running exploits this year. The Wasatch back sounds awesome, you have some nice legs to run including Avon. Utah has been so wet this year I was really limited to below about 8,000 feet. I would really have liked to get higher. I will plan my trip next year for late June to ensure some decent conditions on a few of the big mountains I want to climb. Your running sounds consistent and strong and the "3 bridges" route is exactly the type of elevation and distance I like. I would love to try some of these runs with you next time around. Keep me updated on your running exploits I am way interested.