Sunday, March 7, 2010

Transitions and The Sun and the Rainfall

I ran well today, felt strong and was motivated a little more than usual. I was able to push myself extremely well, and had it not been for the downpour I found myself in for the duration I very well may have had a personal best. It was perhaps the strongest I have ran uphill all year. So while I was chugging away I couldn't help but think I was approaching some sort of transition with my physical fitness, and as I thought about it more I think I am at a crucial transition in my life.

While thinking about my past, I realized that my physical, mental and spiritual activities have been on two year cycles for most of my life. I find that I tend to have major transitions and shifts in my entire ideals and also new discoveries about myself about every two years. For instance the last two years have been an extremely important phase of my life consisting of me figuring out my body, and settling into a running routine, and discovering why I am running. The two years prior to this current period I was still recovering from surgery and was not well enough physically or mentally to take my running to where I currently am taking it. This period has also been a time where I have adjusted to being a graduate student in a different country and I have laid a strong base for my understanding of the geosciences and grown immensely in my field. I have also made changes to diet, and have significantly changed my attitude and mentality towards life, and eliminated much of the negativity that I had built up over the years from the many challenges I was faced with. So really this last two year period has been a time of discovery and growth where I have found out many truths about myself and what it takes to make me happy. I really have had a great two year phase.

I find myself now nearing a new transition and it feels as if I am at the cusp of something even better with all aspects of my life. I feel that the previous two years were really just laying the ground work to set me up for a new and very strong direction. I feel that if I am able to breakthrough and push myself with my school, running, and family I could really achieve some amazing personal goals and live a healthier more meaningful life. The trick is making the breakthrough. I feel that it is approaching but that there will be a significant amount of work and desire needed to push me over the cusp. I hope that this breakthrough is real and I am not just wishfully thinking. I look forward to what the next two years of my life will bring and all I can say is I know it will be great because I will not accept anything less. I now know why running makes me so happy and what aspects of it I will allow me to obtain the most meaning from the experience, I know where I am heading with my thesis work and I know what needs to be done to contribute meaningful insights into the geoscience community, I know what type of diet works best with my body and leads to the most energy and quality of life, I know where my attitude and spirituality need to be to allow me to find the best balance and joy, and lastly I know what each member of my little family loves and is interested in and I am devoted to helping each pursue whatever it is they are currently interest in. In short if I can stay motivated and focussed on implementing these recent truths and realizations about my self and really apply what I have found I feel I can have an amazing next couple of years. These were my thoughts as I was running tonight. I hope this post doesn't sound too lame, self-righteous or self-promoting but instead that it relates how I was feeling tonight, and portrays my biggest concern that I take action and not sit on this information.

Well tonight saw me running in a full downpour but it was amazing because the southwestern sky opened up to let the setting sun filter in through the forest and there was a juxtaposition of moody clouds and rain with a cheerful spring like sunset. So the next thing that pops in my head is a song by Depeche Mode called "The Sun and the Rainfall". Easily in my top ten. I decided to put in a great remix of the song by Dominatrix and I think it is a great modernization of the classic song by DM. Enjoy!



1 comment:

Tim said...

It sounds like you had one of those runs where you can go on forever without even thinking about it. its amazing how its situations like you were in where you realize some of life's most important truths to your own personal life. I can't wait to go do a run with ya in May.