Friday, February 19, 2010

Golden Hinde and Wheeler Peak

I thought I would post a few more running destinations I am interested in pursuing in the next few years.




Wheeler Peak
Location: Eastern Nevada
Elevation: 13,063
Prominence: 7,563
Distance: Depends on how I decide to attack it but relatively short.

I decided to put Wheeler on for several reasons. First it is truly a remote mountain with the nearest town being Delta Utah. Secondly this is a monster at over 13,000 feet and number 12on the contiguous 48 states ultra prominence list at over 7,500 of prominence, and lastly another mountain oasis in the desert with terrain ranging from desolate to alpine. I think this hulk of rock is very runnable and also appeals to me just because of it's size and aesthetic. I would love to hammer this mountain in the late Fall or early Summer. You actually run through a bristlecone pine forest, some of the oldest trees alive, many over 2000 years old including the felled Prometheus a nearly 5000 year old tree cut down for research in 1962.





Location: Strathcona Park Vancouver Island
Elevation: 7,211
Prominence: Not sure perhaps 3-4000
Distance: Once again no clear numbers on this but I assume 20-30 km one way and 40-60 km round trip

I think that this is one of my immediate goals and I hope to run the summit in the next Summer or two. The Golden Hinde is the Vancouver Island high point named for Sir Francis Drakes ship that sailed along the coast of the island in 1579. The biggest challenge with this run is the distance to the mountain (usually 2-4 days of hiking) and then the class 4 routes that must be taken to make the summit. Class 4 is un-runnable and I will be forced to climb a chute to the top like everyone else. After 6-7 hours of straight running this may prove challenging and dangerous. My goal is to do the whole trip in 20 hours from trail head back. I think it is achievable and I am not sure of the current speed record but I bet that it is more than 24 hours round trip from the trail head. I would need to hike this first before I run it and learn the convoluted paths just to get to the base. Once I checked it out I could try to run it. This would be ridiculous to attempt in less than a day but I think it is doable if it was well planned with some form of support most likely friends camping out along the way for a sort of aid station and maybe even another friend on the class 4 approach ready to lend a hand and a helmet for the final approach. It is said there is so much up and down just to get to the base that you easily cover 7,000 feet just to get to the base. I would love to summit it though.

I have a midterm on Monday so I will most likely not do much running this weekend but may squeeze in an hour or two depending on my studies. I had a super fast Mount Doug Gutbuster route time of 56 minutes which would be good enough for about 25th out of 60 runners. The winners are usually in the low 40's. I wasn't even racing and so I think I could get a sub 50 now. I will definitely race that course this year.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Those look like some note-worthy runs. That one in Vancouver looks like a monster. Some great challenges thats for sure. Thats also awesome about your time running the gutbuster. I wonder if all of the hill climbing you have been doing is the main reasoning behind it. what do you think??? keep up the running.