Saturday, February 6, 2010

12 summits and 2 to go!

I am super happy with my running this week. I am right on course to wrap up the week with my goal of 14 summits of Mount Doug in 7 days or an average of 2 a day. I am super stoked and even though I am just getting started I can feel that my tanks weren't completely empty to begin with and I still have some fitness I am drawing from.

The greatest part about today was the fact that I didn't have to power hike at all and ran all 1500' of vert nonstop (3000' in the last two days). I also was flying down the hills pretty good and I enjoyed that as well. I have been focusing on forefoot striking on the down hills (you have no choice to forefoot strike on the up hills because of the steepness). This requires really pointing your toes as you run down the hill to allow your toes to make contact first. I think it really helps to absorb the shock and my legs aren't as beat up as they were last year when I was running lots of down hill every day. It made me think that my little sister who is a talented multifaceted dancer would be good at trail running because of her leg strength and her ability to keep her toes pointed and absorb shock. It would be fun to see how she would do as a trail runner but I am afraid she would be hard to sway into running.

Vye has been exercising at night and I keep telling her that I am going to do core work with her but I always seem to find myself falling asleep at about 11:00 when she begins her workout. I have to give her major props because it is challenging to take care of the kids all day including watching a friends of ours son most days. She then works on strength and toning after the kids are asleep, the house is in order, and we have had some time to spend together, and by that time of night I am so knackered, but she finds the motivation to workout. I am super proud and inspired by her. Being a mother and finding time to be an athlete seems like such a challenge and yet so many women do it. Vye has also been doing a lot of photography lately and it is awesome to see her excel at something she is so passionate about. She would really like to learn how to photo trail running events and I think that would be awesome to have her there to not only support me but to photo the runner's and the event. It may be a nice niche to play around with in the future, combining several of both her and my own talents and passions.

I have a hefty week this week as we lead up to the reading break the following week. I will have to ration my time wisely. Reading break should be a great time to cram for a midterm and then run some longer 2-3 hour runs at the Gowland Tod range or Thetis Lake and I hope to have some serious mileage and elevation during the break.

I often run without music (like an i-pod) because I really enjoy silence and have come to appreciate the sound of my labored breathing and clumsy feet as I tackle the trails. I do often have various music playing in my head sometimes because I have recently heard the song but other times because a song just popped up for no reason. This evening a new song called "Childhood's End", from an awesome electronica band I have loved for years called Leiahdorus, popped into my mind. The song is from their new album and I think it is really cool. I wish I could have seen these guys at the synth festival in Salt Lake city in 2005 but missed it. They are from New Mexico and often perform at Burts Tiki lounge and I would love to see them one of these days. I hope you like the song and all their other stuff is great also and worth checking out if you are into finding new music like I am.


2 comments:

Tim said...

Great job on your goal of summiting (spelling??) 14 times in 7 days, VERY impressive, I would probably die trying to keep up with you.

I find it interesting you don't like to run with music anymore. I thought when you were down last year that you always ran with your ipod. I could be wrong.

I also enjoyed that tune, I must say it has been one of my more favorite songs you have posted

Steve said...

I still enjoy running with music but I equally enjoy running without it. I try to alternate and it depends on my mood and what I think i'll be doing on the trails.