Monday, July 5, 2010

Week in review June 26 - July 4 and some TrailMode

In the previous 7 days I managed to run 9 times for a total distance of about 40 miles. It feels great to see some consistency. My run yesterday on the 4th of July was perhaps the crowning achievement of the previous week's hard work. My legs reached the point where they seemed to be on auto pilot, they pulled my body up the hills with a minimum of lactic acid build-up. It was awesome to not have to power hike anything. I had awesome runs on both Canada Day and also the US Independence Day and perhaps the added emotions that come with freedom and patriotism make for a little extra something to draw from. It seems like after 7 days of consistent running I always end with a strong run. I typically find that the next 7 days, particularly day 10, can be quite painful and sluggish. I will see if my past experience with week 2 this time pans out.

I ran particularly late last night and as I was cruising through the impending darkness on Mercer everything was clicking, and for a moment the only sound that could be heard was my feet on the trail and I just clipped along and "Enjoyed the Silence". One of the many great things about trail running are being able to find yourself in these types of situations where you are completely engrossed in the moment. I find it only appropriate to include some classic Depeche Mode to represent my run that played out in almost eerie silence. This is some classic Exciter Tour footage from the DVD "One Night in Paris". I also included an image of my own re-interpreted album cover art from Violator, I call it "TrailMode".


Reinterpreted Album Art - combining Depeche Mode and trailrunning (geeky I know).

Original Album Art




2 comments:

Tim said...

Man you are running some serious mileage, it makes my runs look like cake walks!!! Great job, running 9 times in seven days, that is amazing. I can't imagine running that far in one week, maybe one day who knows. I also enjoyed your art work and was wondering if you tinker with your artistic abilities very much? Back in the day you had some serious skills!

It is great we are so far apart, and yet still love pretty much the same stuff after all of this time, one day we shall do some serious running together and have MANY great memories doing that. Keep up the amazing work man, that is AWESOME!

Steve said...

I have to say that I haven't really drawn/painted in almost 8 years though it is something I would love to pursue. Unfortunately if I do too many things at once I find I just become average or below average at all of them, but to really improve in a area in my life I can only focus on about 3 passions at once. This has caused me to postpone some of my other passions at the moment such as art but who knows when I will be able to reincorporate them back into my life. So my artistic outlet currently is photography/photoshop.