Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Hard run and Silence

Today I decided it was time to brush off the cobwebs and push the legs a bit pace-wise. What a terrible day to decide to hard run. My right leg is still sore (shin and calve) from running before X-mas with burnt out shoes. I also was a bit fatigued and dehydrated, but what is a hard run without a few obstacles, you can't only run hard when everything is perfect and expect the same growth that comes from running with problems. So I psyched myself into a fast pace and really stretched my gait. This was one of those runs where my only fuel was will power and my only motivation was that vision of the future - well trained version of myself tackling long gnarly runs in the Spring and Summer. My right leg was killing and after a lap I stopped (it was my fastest lap in months by the way) and I really stretched all the major muscle groups in my legs. This 2 minute break and stretch was great, and gave me a good bounce for the following lap. I really began to push and during this run I used some disassociation techniques and zapped myself out of my body, and thought about many things that took me away from the searing legs and aching lungs. I typically use both associative and disassociation techniques for dealing with challenging runs. When I am fitter and running well, I really like associative techniques and focus on everything about the run and analyze every aspect of the pain and truly try to understand and communicate with my body. Since I am only building my base back up, I decided to dislocate myself from the pain and this tends to help me just finish my harder training runs, early on in a building phase, and also I don't wimp out because I am not so focussed on the run. I ended up shaving nearly 3 minutes off my 8K which I was happy with considering conditions weren't perfect. It was another small victory that motivates me going into tomorrow's run.

While running a song popped up called "silence" sung by Sarah McLachlan mixed by Tiesto and Oakenfold on delirium. I have loved this song for nearly a decade and still love to listen to this track whenever I get a chance. This is a great track to run to, it has a great beat and build-ups that energize even the groggiest of runs. It also has a nice "trancy" feel that tends to make my mind wander to other runs, hikes, outings and even future goals and runs and allows for disassociation techniques. I like the video for several reasons; first it has running in it, second they are running on rough terrain near the ocean which reminds me of my run in Oregon earlier this year, and last I like the fact that the guy is blind and his girlfriend/wife is leading him so he can still enjoy an adventure with her (at least that is my interpretation of the video). I like to think that Vye would do this for me if I ever lost my vision (heaven forbid). No matter what obstacles I am faced with in this life I would like to think that I would still find ways to live an adventurous life. I think it is nice sentiment. Anytime I watch the video on YouTube I want to lace up and hit a coastal run. There are some amazing coastal runs here on the Island. Each one between about 50 and 100 Km long. I hope to run several this year and would love to run all of them before I am done with my PhD. Silence is one of the best running tracks for me, I think I have a 10 minute version on my i-pod and it is always a joy to run with it playing.




Here is the full 10:00 minute version by Oakie! The video is just random driving though posted by some YouTube user but the song is awesome!


2 comments:

Tim said...

It sounds like your running is going well despite the soreness you are experiencing. I wish I could be out running more, that song was interesting as I have never heard it before, I could see running to that song.

Vyedka said...

You are awesome! Even when the weather is horrible outside or you have some injuries, you still lace on your Brooks and head out for the trails! That song is awesome and I really do love that video too, it is definitely interesting!

And you know I would do anything for you Ü Especially take you on adventures!