Saturday, February 7, 2009

The missing Power Point

I had to do a presentation this week in my petrology and tectonics class.  The subject was on mantle roasting and redox.  I had spent 30 hours perhaps, doing background reading and submerging myself in the subject.  Twelve hours of putting together one of my best presentations I had ever given, was about to be for nothing.  For some reason the jump drive I was saving to must not have been fully plugged in, needless to say I did not save my presentation.  I discovered this small fact 15 minutes before going to my class to present.  I think I handeled it quite well.  I took the remaining 15 minutes to slap together some quick slides and ugly figures.  This was the best I could do, and I went to the class and gave my lecture from memory without my masterpiece slide show.  It went as well as I could have hoped, but it was frustrating.  I really had a great presentation to share with everyone.  The four professors including my advisor were understanding but my score will not reflect what was really put into the project.  The moral of this story is save things in two or more places constantly.  With all the technology and projects I have worked on over the years you would think I would have a simple save procedure nailed, and yet here I am blogging about my missing power point.  

1 comment:

Tim said...

That had to be REALLY frustrating. Spending all that time on a project to have that happen to ya has got to SUCK! Sounds like you did a good job with what ya had. I am sure you probably had that stuff memorized inside and out knowing you.